It’s college football season, time to shop for new winter clothes and time to consider how to protect your home from the winter conditions that are fast approaching. Safe Harbor Insurance offers the following winterizing reminders for your review.
With temperatures falling and meteorologists predicting a colder than normal winter, the easiest and most cost efficient way to keep your home’s heat inside, while keeping your heating bill respectable, is to add fresh insulation to your attic, ceilings, basement and walls. Mark Wolf (of the National Energy Assistance Directors’ Association) states that these do-it-yourself home upgrades could cause instant energy savings between 10 and 20%.
Winter storm damage can cause thousands of dollars in damage. Let Safe Harbor Insurance provide you with an insurance check-up to make sure you have the best possible coverage. Also, be sure to have an emergency kit ready before a winter storm hits. An emergency kit is simply a collection of basic items the people in your household may need in the event of an emergency. Include the following: water, flash lights and batteries, first aid kit, whistles to signal for help, basic tools, manual can opener, small supply of food, radio, candles, lighter, blankets and rope.
The following is a checklist for what homeowners ought to be doing when prepping for the cold season. Follow this list, and you’re sure to have a warmer and more relaxed winter experience (scraping and digging out your car notwithstanding).
- Reverse ceiling fan rotation
- Inspect your furnace
- Insulate water pipes
- Clean wood stoves and chimney’s
- Store summer tools and prep winter ones
- Make sure you caulk or repair and replace any siding that is failing
- Stock up on emergency supplies
- Make sure your recreation vehicles get the same care as your home
- Seal cracks in windows, doors, foundations and ducts
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors
- Clean gutters
- Add insulation where needed
- Check for leaks in gutters, windows and roofs
- Cut shrubs away from your home
Safe Harbor Insurance will make sure you are protected against winter claims, with the right combination of coverage and pricing. We offer competitive premiums and broad coverage for your home and business. Contact us today for a quote.