Insurance Needs for College Students

September 5, 2013

Over 1.8 million students will graduate from college in 2013. Many of our local students will be heading off to University of Washington, Washington State, or Seattle University to name a few. It is important to understand how a student moving off to college may impact your insurance needs. If you have a college student, it will be important for you to review this, and talk to me about any changes you may need to make to your insurance program.

For the most part, college students, even while living away from home, are still considered under the authority of their parents, unless they permanently move from home which would include changing their driver’s license address.

  • Personal property – Items like clothes and computers should be covered under your homeowner’s policy depending on the value. If you have a high deductible on your homeowner’s policy you may want to consider purchasing a renters policy for your college student to cover his/her belongings at a lower deductible. Check with our office for any limitations.
  • Personal Liability – This coverage is provided anywhere the student goes, unless it is outside of the US, and then the policy may have some limited coverage.
  • Auto – If your child is living in a different city or state without a vehicle, please notify us as there may be an additional discount since they are not a full time driver.
  • Health – Children can remain on your health policy until the age of 26.

Once your child graduates and moves out of your home, you and your child will need to make different decisions. Contact Safe Harbor Insurance for more information.