According to the National Safety Council, in 2015, more than 1,500,000 people sought emergency medical treatment resulting from sports injuries. As we move into spring and summer, more people will be getting involved in athletic activities that can lead to sports related injuries.
A healthy body is a happy body, and there’s no better way to preserve your health and your family’s health than with a Friday Harbor health insurance policy from Safe Harbor Insurance.
Here are the top five sports related injuries according to the National Safety Council via the Insurance Information Institute:
- Basketball – over 530,000 injuries
- Bike riding – over 521,000 injuries
- Football – over 420,00 injuries
- Exercise – over 370,000 injuries
- Soccer – over 229,000 injuries
Tips to reduce the likelihood in sports injuries:
- Wear the right gear and equipment.
- Stretching exercises before and after games or practice can increase flexibility. Stretching should also be incorporated into a daily fitness plan.
- Avoid heat related injuries by drinking plenty of fluids before, during, and after exercise or play.
- Young athletes should not assume that protective gear will prevent all injuries while performing more dangerous or risky activities.
Safe Harbor Insurance is an independent insurance agency – meaning we do business with multiple insurance companies and compare protection and prices to find the best value for you. As your local agent, we understand the details of planning needed in WA, and we’re committed to being your advocate in times of need.
Source for prevention tips; American Academy of Pediatrics.